the Maddalena theater
The Maddalena Theater is an interactive creative forge with its territory, a center of aggregation and cultural promotion that allows independent young creatives to experiment and present their works to an audience of attentive and passionate spectators. Already in 2013, the activities of the Association and its partners (formerly Ortopolis_arti in rete) took shape in the former Church of Santa Maria Maddalena (renovated in 1995 and then closed for about twenty years), with the intention of opening the church and return it to its city, animating it with shows, workshops, creative residences, sharing and artistic productions. In recent years, with renewed impetus and a new partnership, Hangartfest has designed the structure as a theatrical space equipped and functional for contemporary dance. The Maddalena Theater , with a capacity of 98 seats, is therefore a new theater that adds to those of the city.
historical notes on the church of the maddalena
The church was annexed to the demolished Benedictine monastery which stood in the current Piazza Del Monte; consecrated in 1325, the complex had origins dating back to the thirteenth century. In 1553 the church became the Sforza mausoleum, to accommodate the remains of the family from the church of San Giovanni Battista.
Today's structure is the result of the total eighteenth-century restructuring of the church and convent: the church project was signed in 1740 by Luigi Vanvitelli, a famous architect of the Papal States, author of the Royal Palace of Caserta. The rebuilding of the Maddalena, entrusted by Vanvitelli to the pupil Antonio Rinaldi, ends in 1745.
Following the unification of Italy, with the transfer of ecclesiastical assets to the state, a long period of abandonment began for the church, during which the works that decorated it were alienated, including three altarpieces from the Pesaro area Giannandrea Lazzarini. The facade, unfinished in the upper part, is characterized by the concavity of its invaded. As in many other contemporary buildings, the material used is terracotta, alternating with the white Istrian stone of the portal. The interior is decorated with stucco sculptures and bas-reliefs by Giuseppe Mazza, a Bolognese artist also active in Pesaro in the church of the Santissima Annunziata.
The restoration dates back to 1995 by the architect Celio Francioni, who sanctioned the use of the space as a venue for cultural events; on that occasion, Lazzarini's paintings returned to their original location.
Text freely adapted from: Giovanna Patrignani, Pesaro. The Radio History of the City, Pesaro, Metauro Edizioni, 2008, pp. 90-91